Is Rule 68 Dead? Supreme Court Says Plaintiffs, Not Courts, Decide Article III Standing
**Significant Discount to Non-NARCA members ($25.00) and FREE to NARCA Members
IMPORTANT for REGISTERED ATTENDEES: Please follow this link to instructions to receive your login credentials!
Judge Posner of the Seventh Circuit notoriously said: “You cannot persist in suing after you've won.” The Supreme Court has now indicated that a plaintiff can do just that. This webinar will address the impact of the Supreme Court’s latest ruling on offers of judgment and what it means to litigants seeking to use Rule 68 or to moot cases.
John H. Bedard, Jr., Bedard Law Group, P.C.
John H. Bedard, Jr. is the managing attorney of Bedard Law Group, P.C. located in Atlanta, Georgia. John represents creditors, asset buyers, and debt collectors helping them stay in compliance with state and federal law. He also manages the nationwide litigation for several collection agencies and focuses his litigation practice on FDCPA, TCPA, and FCRA defense. John’s practice also focuses on defending regulatory actions including CFPB investigations and travels the country performing CFPB readiness assessments for the collection industry. He received his law degree from the Syracuse University College of Law and his undergraduate degree in Economics from the Pennsylvania State University.
Manuel H. Newburger, Barron & Newburger, P.C.
Manuel H. Newburger is the Vice-President of Barron & Newburger, P.C. As an adjunct professor at the University of Texas School of Law he has taught consumer law since 1999. A well-known author on the FDCPA and similar laws, he has appeared as amicus curiae counsel in a number of high-profile consumer law cases. Through his law firm and Fair Debt Consultants, LLC, he has consulted to the collection industry throughout the United States and in India, the Philippines, and Canada. Mr. Newburger is licensed to practice in both Texas and Colorado and is admitted to practice before numerous federal courts, including the Supreme Court. A Fellow of the American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers and certified as a specialist in consumer and commercial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, he has repeatedly been recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer.
Continuing Legal Education (CLE)
CLE will not be offered for this presentation.
Important Instructions Below for Registered Attendees
IMPORTANT: To receive your login credentials for the webinar, please follow these instructions:
- For receipt of emails from NARCA's webinar product, please whitelist email@example.com.
- On the day of the event, look for an email from NARCA Legal Learning with the Subject Meeting Invitation.
- Although you have already registered for the the event, at the bottom of the NARCA Legal Learning Meeting Invitation which you will receive on the day of the event, click on the green Register Now button and provide the basic information required to track your attendance to the event.
- Following this, look for an automated second email from NARCA Legal Learning with a Meeting Confirmation. This has your credentials and link to the webinar.
- If you do not receive the second email, please look in your junk folder or call NARCA Operations at 202.861.0706.
- For additional questions or assistance, please contact Karen Yates at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.861.0706.